Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It Only Hurts When I Listen To Insensitive Comments.

You should try working for a living. That one single phrase stands out from my entire day to jab at me like a thick barb looming in my shoe. A day that I can only describe as a whirlwind. Let's review, shall we?

3:00 a.m. - After wrestling Ashes to bed only 3-4 hours prior I am greeted by a wide awake incarnation of said child who proceeds to eat repeatedly.

6:00 a.m. Everyone else rouses to ready themselves for school while my wife and I prepare to venture forth with Ashes for our weekly grocery trip with my Dad and Sister. This is of course after getting my other 3 children on the bus for school.

7:15 a.m. We leave for town.

10:00 a.m. After nearly 3 hours, various stops and Tetris-fu loading of groceries, we return home in time to unload our portion of food etc. In so doing, I must confess I did manage to somehow injure myself. I do not know with any certainty what I did, but I do have some discomfort in my chest now when moving certain ways, coughing, hiccups, etc. Go ahead, laugh, I readily admit the inherent humor.

Rushing, I endeavored to get all our cold stuff stowed away, which of course meant rearranging and removing some other stuff.

11:00 a.m. I Paused to try and get Ashes down for a nap, as she clearly displayed her usual hallmarks of tiredness. While I was preoccupied, Teal went down to get Bryn off the bus and feed him lunch.

12:30 p.m. Trying again to get Ashes down for a nap I am proven victorious.

1:00 p.m. My Dad and I leave to drive 30-45 minutes to go pick up my prescription and then 30-45 minutes back to get it filled and return home.

3:00 p.m. I return home setting myself to taking out the trash, doing dishes and some general clean up.

It is now 6:00 p.m., the kids are fed, and I have bathed the younger three. It seems almost surreal to only just now be opening my little netbook, only to realize this is the first real moment I have had to even reflect on anything.  And yet, even now I have midgets I keep having to juggle, referee, motivate and monitor.

Don't get me wrong, I still recall the exhaustion of brutal labor and long hours. I will never begrudge any hard working soul the right to hold their head in pride for their efforts. But I can't help but shake my head at the notion that raising 4 kids, not to mention my own daily struggles means I don't do anything. I don't claim to do back-breaking work anymore, I can appreciate the difference in type of work as well. But at the end of the day, when some people only have an empty house and perhaps a few pets waiting on them; you may work for a living. However, you should try raising a family, before you judge.

Sorry, even leaving out a lot of little things, my day has been crazy. Apologies for the rant.