Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Think; Thank.



Think; Thank.

Yeah, it’s that time of year again – the inevitable annual time to reflect on so much of our lives. Now, to be fair we really shouldn’t wait around to contemplate such matters only once or twice a year. But it seems like there is something about the Holidays that manage to remind us, if we take a breath to slow our pace. Perhaps it is a byproduct of the seasonal weather, the almost mandatory requirement to gather and spend time indoors. Whatever the reasons are, they are irrelevant. The point is what matters; it is time everyone paused to think about gratitude.

Whatever that means to you; embrace it.

Whatever you’re thankful for; celebrate it.

And whatever blessings are in you’re life; acknowledge them.

The simple truth is an undeniable fact: we aren’t here forever and in that brief time we can’t afford to waste a single moment taking anything for granted. For example, I’ve been granted a unique perspective of late. For the last few months I’ve had to deal with the limitation of the denied use of my right hand or wrist. In short, I have spent a third of this year trying to adapt as best I can.

And, as odd as it may sound, I am deeply grateful for the experience. It has been trying, frustrating even, but it has been humbling. From this time I’ve learned a lot about solving problems creatively and how to put pride aside and trust in the aid of others. This can be difficult when you’re used to being the one who is relied on.

Which leads me to something more of us take for granted, friendship. Family is a precious and powerful bond in our lives, but it is the fire of friendship that lights our darker days. Where our family is there to anchor us, to support us, we need friends as we walk our own road. It is our friends who help us shoulder so many burdens; it is they who help us as we grow to understand who we are.

I have had the fortune to have had many treasured friends throughout the course of my life. Each and every one I cherish deeply, and my only regret is that so few of them remain in my daily life. Time, distance and life have a way of drifting people apart – but they can never truly separate them or the memories they will forever share. I am forever indebted to my friends and the times we shared. It’s something I am truly thankful for.

We should all be so fortunate to have so much to be grateful for. Take a moment for yourself and really consider that. Ask yourself; what are you truly thankful for? Whatever answer you find, embrace it, cherish it, and celebrate it. Show others you recognize and/or appreciate them or what they do. Don’t waste anymore time and do not wait around for another Holiday to remind you.

You’re mission, whether you choose to accept it or not is to think thank.

No comments:

Post a Comment