Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Games We Play

Growing up, as I now look back, I can fondly remember a small stack of board games that sat nestled in the top of a closet. I can also recall with delight where my father kept his decks of playing cards(and poker chips). In fact it was a major triumph when we located my aunt and uncles penny jar and were able to use them in games. Why does any of this matter at all now that I am grown and have children of my own? The answer lies within the question, naturally.

As a child there always was for me, and let's be honest here - for anyone there is a innate magic in cards, dice, even tokens and other little tidbits found in our games. I was captivated by such things, I treasured learning how to play black jack sitting cross legged in the floor with my father just as I do the memory of being primed on how to play Spades for the first time with my family. Even if your immediate family doesn't have a game night where you sat down with your parents and siblings to crack open monopoly or life, I would wager all my risk armies that odds are you can recall playing some kind of game with some of your family and enjoying the experience.

Now, sadly as we get older we sometimes find our time restricted, or that our family has other interests to pursue. But no matter the age anyone can sat down at a table and engage in good clean fun. Playing any game can help us to learn about ourselves, about how to interact, but most importantly they let us connect. Games shape us, and our choices of them are shaped by who we are.

My cousins used to introduce me to amazing games that even now I desperately crave the chance to play again. We spent untold hours playing countless board and card games, I miss those days. Watching TableTop on the Geek and Sundry channel has reminded me of this as well as how I have precious few games in my own closet now to play with my children. I would adore the chance to introduce my family and friends to games like Small World, Settlers of Catan, even classics like Risk and Scrabble(confession - I am ashamed to concede I don't recall ever actually playing scrabble but always wanted to).

I want my children to know the joy to be had as I did, I want to share in that fun with them. Shouldn't we all want to spend time with our loved ones and enjoy it? Why not break out a game and let the fun come to you?

1 comment:

  1. Brother, we'll have to fix that Scrabble problem. ;)

    ReplyDelete