Wednesday, June 1, 2011

D.P.S. v2.0 - A Beta Is Unleashed!

Okay, I now set, with a blank and blinking stare at my screen. Can it truly be, have I finally managed to accomplish my goal in the form of a digital character sheet for the Pathfinder system produced by Paizo? As with many of my projects, it has managed to engulf my mind to the point I can scarcely believe it is complete.

As it stands, however, D.P.S. v2.0 is now available for anyone who desires to beta test or use it. I hope it proves a valuable and handy tool, it's been a most rewarding project. And should any run across any flaws or areas lacking in my little app, please let me know. I plan to improve and refine it over time as best I can.

Oh, and a friendly caveat or two: The app should save and load character files as .txt files. And, hidden within are 12 little gems. The challenge shall be in locating these dozen Easter-eggs.

I pray the fates may now find it in their mercy to allow my mind to be released from the grip of code and return to my writing. It has suffered terribly.


Please let me know what you think!

https://sites.google.com/site/glitchedgrimore/
or
D.P.S. v2.0 Beta Release Direct Download
D.P.S. v2.1Updated Release

4 comments:

  1. Not bad. It definitely keeps one from having to attempt to read past all the eraser marks. But I would advise to allow it to be resizeable - as it is right now, a few categories like "Character Name" and others are cut off by the input boxes. Please fix?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just downloaded this and so far it's been really good. I agree with the first post on being able to resize it, although more for the multi-line text boxes to be bigger. They get filled up and crowded pretty fast when adding in class abilities and notes.

    Here are a few other suggestions / ideas.
    - Make any fields that pull from other parts (e.g. the AC fields on the main tab) grayed out. I spent a couple minutes trying to enter a number in them before realizing that they were a calculated field.
    - Another tab that just has a giant text box (maybe even rtf?) would be nice to keep notes in.

    I also see that you posted this back in 2011 and you may not be working on this project much anymore. I'm a software developer, and I was wondering if you'd be willing to share your code for this so I could make my own updates. I'd be willing to share any changes I did with you as well if you're interested.

    Otherwise, great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Brad, to be honest I can't say exactly how long I worked on the code back then. I completely rebuilt it from a previous attempt and I can say I toiled night and day for well over a month or more on it. So once I had a working beta for it I released it and surprisingly have heard great feedback. There has been some work on it after the release but I do confess since devoting so much time and focus on it I have had to redirect my attentions elsewhere. I have been considering an update but ironically so far everything has been running well with the program.

      I wouldn't mind sharing the code, but I would have to ask that any of the easter eggs found be left alone and not disclosed. They were put in for fun and thus far no one was uncovered them all. Any changes made I would like to be kept informed of. The program was written to be a free tool for people and to make recording characters easier. As such I would love to see it made even more useful.

      Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  3. Found a bug, if you choose a skill as class talent, but give 0 ranks, it still says 3, but the bonus only takes effect at minimum rank 1

    ReplyDelete