Saturday, February 11, 2012

Laugh Or Cry.

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Hulk. Hulk Who? Hulk Smash!

Much akin to Bruce Banner, I have found over the last 2 days my own frustrations reaching that little crossroads where the sign reads: Laughter Road and Tear Street. We all do it, have our little snapping points that is. And while I have yet to reach the point of full blown rage or complete dismissal/surrender, I did have to pause and laugh at things.

The short version is that I decided to cave to curiosity and see how hard it would be to code some apps for Nook devices etc. Fortunately it's fairly easy to get access to the tools to do so, and there is support out there. The down side though is that while the Nook Color runs Android, it's a modified version so you need a custom B&N SDK, along with some other special software packages, kits, and add-ons. After about 2 days of getting all of the required stuff set up and configured, I thought I could try out the little "Hello Nook Color" example project. Unfortunately, B&N must have left Murphy and his law in charge.

Everything seems to be working fine, but the Nook Color emulator/virtual device doesn't seem to be loading quite right. Adding to the complications, the 'Quick Start Guide' isn't written very well, it's image examples don't match up and if they do they are left blurry enough to prohibit comparison. I am certain I'll crack this eventually, but it'll take some time. In the mean time, I'll just picture Hulk paying their guide developers door a visit. Good times.

Oh, and if your ever curious to follow in my footsteps - it is free, just be forewarned to be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment