Thursday, February 2, 2012

My Own Little Nook.

One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that for as long as I can think back I have desperately needed my own little nook. It could be a simple and trivial thing to many others, but for me even a small space for me to reserve my own little trinkets is priceless. Ask anyone who ever visited me when I was younger or who has spent time at my house and they'll all agree that you'll find a little pocket-space of my own.

Why am I waxing poetic over something many can freely admit as a curious yet passing notion? Well, it just happens to be a logical segue(even a poetically ironic one) to my next point. For the past week, or maybe two(I'm not sure, I often have trouble keeping up with what day it is) I've been engrossed in research on e-reader/tablets and the android operating system. And when I decided to get myself such a device I ended up deciding on the Barnes & Noble Nook Color.

Now, I may not be your regular e-reader user, for that matter I don't think I have ever been one who picked up any device just to simply use as intended. I can understand and appreciate a product's limitations not to mention what it's design is intended for. But I can also see what else it is capable of, and because of that I've never quite looked at things the way others did. When others scoffed at me when netbooks started to roll out I marveled at the Acer One's. Are they super computers? No. But I will say this, my little netbook has lasted me the last 3 years, it's run StarCraft 2, even when they ran the beta, not to mention World Of Warcraft, League Of Legends. Hell, I have even written code for some programs on this thing. Still trucking right along. Knock on wood!

The more I read recently, though, the more I found myself similarly fascinated with the Nook Color. It isn't a super-powered tablet, not by a long shot. But if you crunch the numbers you can easily realize that their hardware is nearly on par with a lot of the netbooks out there. In fact, the battery life alone is just as good or better while being even more portable. Is it a viable replacement for a laptop though? No. I can't make that proclamation. But what I can say though is, especially if you root one or load a full blown version of Android, that a Nook Color can easily become a daily option for you to read, check e-mail, twitter etc with greater convenience.

To be fair there is a ton of hype out there right now, especially among the general consumer market for these kinds of devices. They're already shaping up to be like netbooks were a few years back, and there is a tidal wave of buzz about the next models coming down the pipe. Am I buying into that hype, or recommending that you do though? No. I am a technology enthusiast, always have been, always will be. And as much as I adore gadgets, I can't say these devices are going to make everyone happy. But in contrast neither am I rich enough to afford a variety of options when I find myself in the market for a new device. As such I can easily say that investing in a Nook Color, Nook Tablet, or even a Kindle Fire is a great deal for the price considering the sheer flexibility and functions they can offer. Especially if your comfortable with rooting one or running a full version of Android, not the neutered versions they have on-board as stock.

So, now, all I have to do is wait and soon I will find myself with my very own little Nook to give me a little digital place for my stuff. Like a decker's cyberdeck, or a NodeRunner's MiniComm, I'll have my own little electronic tether to a personal cyberspace. The hard part is, now I'm just counting the days until I can get my hands on it and really get a feel for it. Perhaps then I can give everyone a better first hand account of the experience. Like a small child, I now am gripped with the magical anticipation of a delivery truck heralding the arrival of a package and the surge of excitement it will undoubtedly bring.

Speedy delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment