Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Uppercut, Uppercut, Jab, Jab, Jab.

Don't ask me why, I never could explain it. Not even years ago when my older kids were tiny and my wife would give me that look. You may know the one, the one most wives give you that is at once a mix of curiosity at just what degree of insanity your suffering from coupled with an oh so subtle suggestion to not repeat whatever you just did in public anytime soon. Yeah, that look.

I used to get the look for doing, well, any number of things. Over the years it has become a talent I suppose, something I excel at with the expertise of a master. But one of them in particular was when I'd play with the kids like they were tiny little boxers, holding them in my lap and miming their little arms. In a playful little tempo I'd recite that simple little pattern, sometimes I'd even add a little 'one-two-one-two.' It's never been anything I can trace back to any reason, just a little thing I did, and still do. Most of my kids never even seem to remember it.

And then last night happened.

To my youngest son's delight my sister sent home a copy of the movie Real Steel for him to get to watch since she had noticed he adored the commercials for it. Sure enough it was all he talked about until we put it in last night, and still has him fixated. As far as movies go I have to admit it was a awesome film. I lost count the number of times all 4 of my children were leaping up from their seats to shadow box with the film or exclaim their excitement.

Even my daughters were not immune to the movie's appeal. Knowing full well that I would certainly be greeted with 'the look' I have grown accustomed to, I brought to my wife's attention our 3 year old daughter's proclamation that she was a 'robot princess' as she proudly displayed her boxing prowess with a 'uppercut, uppercut, jab, jab, jab.'

If you haven't yet seen the film, I implore you to as soon as you can. There is so much more depth to it than you would expect. The cliche tag on the case claimed that it was "like rocky but with robots." And as silly as some people will undoubtedly find that, it is also just as inspiring and endearing. You can't help but feel and root for the little underdog robot Atom, but more so for stories father and son team.

As many writers have said before; real steel isn't in strength or power, but in the courage and will of the heart to never give up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment